Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Blinky Bill is dying


The habitat for all native animals in Australia is under stress, I personally have found platypus that have been mauled and killed by domestic dogs. It is not a nice site, Kookaburras that have been taken in flight by domestic cats, the height that a cat can leap vertically is amazing (2 metres). The photo shows a lizard that frequented our place. It was about 6 feet long and stood two feet high even the dogs were afraid of this fella, I saw him take down a wild cat with the snap of his jaws, the cat didn't see it coming. He waited till the cat was in snapping reach and that was it. Then there was the time I was mowing the long grass near the house on a hot day and was confronted by a brown snake. He had me dead to rights and was standing with his head three feet off the ground and was swinging side to side ready to make a strike. I froze on the spot and he knew I was there and didnt know where to strike as the mower was going and giving off heat. He had a heat source but wasnt shore which to strike at. It stood what seemed like 5 minutes, waving from side to side. When these fellas bite they keep up the attack until the prey stops moving, biting multiple times with deadley results. It was my fault as I came on him by supprise and he didnt want the fight and he lowered to the ground and slithered away. This brown snake frequented the house and could get into the roof and would lay in wait for mice and you could here the recoil when he struck his prey at night .I think it was pretty neat to have wild life so near the house. We had to keep our food in an old fridge that didnt work but it kept the mice out of the food. Every one used to ask why we had two fridges in the kitchen. cheers Stewart

No comments: