Monday, October 12, 2009

Runnaway train

The mine I worked at was old and was serviced by rail way line. While in the mine I worked an overtime shift as a shunter taking a shuttle car frontend loader bucket and other supplies into the mine. A shunter is the bloke who changes the points. In the mine the train tracks follow the terrain, that is the coal seam. At some time in the past they went from the Bulli seam down to the Wongawilli seam. Down a drift which was about half a mile long and down an angle of about thirty degrees. While descending the drift the driver lost control of the train which weighed about 60 tons gross, Well at the bottom of the drift we were doing about 50 miles per hour , with the brakes on the loco and carriages skidded over two kilometers before it came to a rest. The shuttle car hit the roof and roof supports showering the loco with rocks and dust. When I got out of the loco I couldn't stand up, I fell over and had to sit on the ground til the adrenalin had subsided.The stupid thing is the loco has a dump system on it and in an emergency like the one I just described the driver should have dumped the loco on rubber shoes and it would have stopped in 10 feet. This incident flattened the wheels on the loco with a pronounced banging as the wheels turned. I will tell more stories as I can remember them as I think people should know about them...cheers Stewart

No comments: