Monday, October 5, 2009

solitary confinement

I worked in the mines in NSW for many years doing roof support on a contract basis with a company called Delta control. We used expanding foam glue to glue the strata together, similar to the glue I use on boat building.
The object is to glue in the keystone and all the rest will stay put and it worked . Some of the places we worked in with the coal mine employees were extremely dangerous. There was the time that the roof was held up with 65 lb.steel rail way line stacked to the roof to hold it up and was crushed to the point the steel squeezed into itself.
Another job we sealed water coming into a coal mine in Lithgow It was coming in at 3,000 gallons a minute and sealed it up with the expanding foam a week later the area was totally dry and dusty. Yet another job was methane gas coming in from the next mining lease and we sealed that as well.
I worked with BHP collieries in a area that holed into old workings, and water came rushing in. Several of us stayed back on a second shift to retrieve the equipment and were aloud to go home on full pay if we got all the stuff out. I chose to go into the water and the rest of the miners moved the stuff from waters edge. I went in up to my neck and floated things out with 20 litre drums. It was better than trying to carry the stuff all the equipment was retrieved and I got 8 hours pay for two hours work.
On another occasion I was working alone and 200 tons of coal slumped from the underground bin and buried me to my chest and I had to dig myself out as there was no one near me to help.
In the end I was clobbered and knocked unconscious and when I was found I was taken out on a stretcher and then to hospital, and was sacked at the end of 18 months without one cent of compensation. I have seen fires underground and they called them heatings. I fought one myself and was criticised for wrong doing. The majority of my time in the later part of my work was working by myself on the mines conveyor belts , I was in solitary confinement for three years, I worked sum times up to 16 hours straight with out seeing anyone, It was work and home and sleep and back to work, all I had was my own company. I enjoyed it all, I am not bitter about losing my job? but it did take some time to adjust as I went a bit (lot) crazy.I will say don't trust those lawyers barristers or queens councilors. I am now over this and was left with back injuries which I have learned to live with. I guess the irony is the blokes I worked with are still in that mine working up to there knees in mud and I now am able to go boating and bush walking and enjoy what is on offer. What would I say to those blokes now ? Nothing.If you have any questions leave a comment and I will try to help.cheers Stewart

No comments: